Thursday, September 17, 2009

Meadowe's Preschool Days

Meadowe has been in preschool for 1 week, officially. And she loves it! She's so excited to go, in part because her cousin Brendan is in her class, and she's such a big girl about it. Her teacher is waiting for her at the door and Meadowe greets her and then walks herself in and down the stairs to her classroom. I almost cried the other day watching her walk in all by herself. Images of her being a needy newborn and holding her in my arms not knowing what the future had in store or knowing what her personality would be like flashed through my mind. I can't believe she's come so far. She is so independent. She wants to do new things all on her own. I think she'll give anything a try once, but she's an awful lot like her Mama in that if she doesn't succeed right away, she gives up. I hope I can show her how to keep persevering.

Her teachers say that she is doing a great job adjusting, and when we're riding back home she tells me how her morning was. She gets to bring home some of her artwork and other activities and Ora and I are impressed with her skills. She used watercolors to paint an apple and she paid very much attention to the details of the apple. I feel the need for a filing system coming on!!! Her artwork and activities, and soon Finn's artwork, will need to be preserved for sentimentality's sake! How will I ever decide what's important?!

Finn is used to running with the big kids and thinks that he should be going to preschool too. Every day so far when we've dropped Meadowe off he says, "I go pwe-skoow too!" And I have to gently tell him that he will go to preschool, just not right now. I try to encourage him by saying that he now has Mommy all to himself for a few hours, but I'm not sure he is grasping the idea of Mommy/Son time yet. He likes having all the toys in the house to himself, this much I'm sure of.

No comments: